Monday, October 25, 2004

Domestic Bliss (and the Lack Thereof)

This weekend confirmed that I am more or less settled into domestic bliss. Friday night I took Carlos out to dinner, then we wandered up to the Eagle for a couple of beers with Johnny. We were home and in bed by 10:30 pm, and I felt like it was basically a perfect night. No going out, no drama, just a quiet and civilized evening. The next evening was not quite so perfect.

After working and fighting the crowds at IKEA, Carlos and I went out to Manray and then the Cuff. Johnny came with us, and we met Arthur, J-Lo, and Pepe at the Cuff. We were both tired and frayed from a long day of shopping for sensible Swedish furniture, and by the time the evening was wrapping up we were pretty trashed. I’d easily had 6 glasses of beer when J-Lo bought a pitcher and announced it was mine. Being a trooper I drank most of it, but wasn’t good for much of anything afterwards but staggering around. Which I did a lot.

And then it went sideways. On the way out the door We ran into these two guys we’ve met there before, and one of them has a big crush on me. Carlos said hi and departed for the bathroom (he doesn’t like Crushboy). Well Crushboy immediately draped himself over me, started whispering in my ear that we should run away together, and with perfect timing tried to kiss me just as Carlos came out of the bathroom. I’m sure you can imagine his reaction.

The next couple of hours weren’t so fun, although we got it all hashed out. The problem is I’m a go-with-the-flow kind of guy, and I can be a bit of an attention whore, so I don’t immediately say “get off me” when something like this happens. And Carlos is very attached and understandably doesn’t want people kissing his boyfriend (although why he’s attached to ME is a little mystifying). I guess I need to rebuff my hordes of admirers more quickly so things don’t get out of hand. And confidential to Crushboy: Carlos is gunning for your ass, and not in a good way. If you see him coming at you with a broken bottle, it’s not to ask where the recycling bin is :)

And it wouldn’t be a blog entry without a mention of JPK. He’s been a busy boy; check out his post on the subject of “Monogamy.” No, really, he wrote an entire entry about it. Stop laughing, he’s very very serious. Anyway, in the 15 days since he met D4L Jason has decided THIS man is his life partner, and this is the glorious relationship all his past relationships were building up to. Now he can discard everything else in his life and live happily ever after with his beloved Dress For Less. Well, until the lease runs out.

Carlos and I had drinks at CC’s Sunday afternoon with Paul and Curtis. Shortly after we got there, the bartender put Rocky Horror Picture Show on all the TVs in the bar. Neither of us had ever seen it so we watched most of it while we drank a couple of beers and visited with Curtis and Paul. It was a very pleasant way to finish the weekend, and I went home feeling happy and rested and ready to start the week. While we were talking, Paul mention something that has been at the back of my mind since. He asked, “Do you think JPK is manic-depressive?” I hadn’t considered it before, but Paul pointed out the sad, teary JPK followed by the wild, impestuous JPK, and back again. Carlos and I went home for the domestic bliss of a quiet dinner and watching TV on the couch, and the whole time I was thinking about JPK’s oddness. Could it be he’s manic-depressive? Could the right pill make him the balanced, reasonable JPK we all know is in there somewhere? What do you think? Drop me a comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home