Monday, February 21, 2005

The Blue Box of Happiness

I’ve been working 12-15 hour days for 2 weeks. I haven’t had a day off in a month, unless you count a trip to Montana to visit the family a vacation. Which I don’t: my parents get up at 5 am Mountain Time, which is 4 am for my internal clock. After 3 days I was worn out. Anyway, I’m a little fuzzy. And little loopy. Everyone recharges in a different way, and I recharge by sitting alone and doing nothing for a hour or two. Days and days of nothing but working and sleeping leave me messy and a little weird. But bear with me: a couple of minor, blog-worthy tidbits have come up, so I promised myself and Matty that I would write them down.

First, and foremost, is the untimely death last night of Hunter S. Thompson. He shot himself at his Colorado ranch, apparently on purpose. He famously liked guns, alcohol, and drugs, which can be a bad combination but overall seemed to serve him well. Thompson wasn’t Shakespeare, but he was odd and funny, and definitely had an impact on journalism in the US. In his last column, he described how he called Bill Murray at 3 am to pitch the game of “shotgun golf” that he’d developed with the help of his friend, the sheriff. He called his shotgun an “alley sweeper.” He offered to get Murray in on the ground floor, presumably with some sort of Carl Spackler tie-in (you know, Caddyshack). Thompson made me look sensible and temperate. He will be sorely missed.

For Christmas, I got Carlos a little trinket at Tiffany. Unfortunately, over the weekend he broke it (it was user error, not poor craftsmanship). I stopped by the downtown Tiffany today to get it fixed, and they just gave me a new one. I've always considered Tiffany to be over-priced and over-hyped, a “you’re paying for the name and the blue box” sort of thing. But I’ve got to say that I’m impressed that they didn’t even quibble. The nice young man (even the staff at Tiffany is new and extremely pretty), just said “we’ll get you another one, sir” and then told me the replacement was complimentary. It made my day.

Matty and I were talking this morning, and he told me that Mackenzie wants to get a tattoo. Of a bluebird. It’s a bit unexpected; generally tall, blond 20-something Abercrombie types want to get some kind of tribal thing tattooed somewhere. Matty’s question, naturally, was what is the significance of the bluebird? “It’s the bluebird of happiness,” Mack replied. Well then. I told Matty he should get the Red Bird of Rage, but he insists he wants the Raven of Justice. Personally, I think we all should get the Cuckoo of Unhinged Queens and be done with it.

On a related note, Matty and I decided that if Mack and his (str8) twin brother ever want to, we’re more than happy to take them and get them thoroughly tattooed and pierced. And then strip them to their underwear, put dog collars on them and take them to get drunk at the Eagle. That’s what we did for JPK, and a good time was had by all. True story, and for 6 months afterward the bartenders bought my drinks every time I walked into the place. If that’s what I got for JPK, the twins should be good for free drinks for at least a year.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that all worked out well with Carlos' key chaing. My mother got a ring from Tiffany & Co. for Christmas 2003. She took it in to get sized, and they told her they had to ship it to NYC. Then, they lost it. When it finally returned, it was sized, but not correctly. To keep it short, it was October before she was able to wear the ring. My suggestion-- unless you live in NYC, stick with their sterling trinkets. Oh, and don't get David Wilson anything from there.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jason Krech said...

That was the day after Ben Waldman dumped me. The nipple piercing lasted nearly as long as the relationship with him.

3:10 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Well just as long as everyone had a good time. In fact, wasn't that evening immortalized in a song? I might have to do some digging.....

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jason Krech said...

You walked into the Eagle like you were stepping into a sling Your ass strategically clad in a dirty jock Your tit pierced with a ring.
Your nose was on the mirror as two guys slid in their c*cks And all the boys knew they would get a turn, They would get a turn, and....

You're so loose, you probably think this song is inside you You're so loose,
I'll bet you think this song is inside you Don't you? Don't you?

I met you several years ago when you were f*cking everything Well you said that you never got much sex and you wanted a wedding ring.
But you dated Ben for money, and dumped Matt for Seth I had my doubts, and now we know it's true, boy is it true that....

You're so loose, you probably think this song is inside you.....

Well I hear you moved off of the hill and closer to daddy's work.
Then you dated a fisting 20 year old, and some Australian jerk.
Well, you're busy sluttin' around all the time And when you're not you're with Some online trick or a kid in town from Texas A kid in town from Texas,
and....

You're so loose, you probably think this song is inside you.....

3:37 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Well I wasn't expecting him to post THAT. To the tune of "You're so Vain," in case you couldn't guess.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jason Krech said...

About every other "fact" in the "song" is true. Here are the true facts from the song:
1. Walked in the Eagle
2. Tit pierced with a BAR, not a ring.
3. No nose on the mirror AT the Eagle -- I think that happened before...and actually, I don't think there was a mirror involved but a marble countertop
4. There was no dirty jock -- I was wearing a pair of clean, white, 2xist trunks. They may have had brown streaks in them at some point -- but hey, everyone's had that happen once, right?
5. I didn't date Ben for money -- if I had, I would imagine I would have somehow monetarily gained from it...at least with Matty, I borrowed $500 for a really long time.
6. I did want a wedding ring -- and I'm close to finally having one! :)
7. I moved off the hill to be closer to my work (owned by my father), and to because I was convinced I was in love with the Australian with the tiny penis Joel.
8. I indeed dated a fisting 20 year old. He's now 21.

6:43 AM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

And that from the horse's mouth. I had to stretch the truth a couple of times to make the lyrics fit the tune. But the I think the spirit of it is accurate. Besides, the truth is so interesting it's not worth the effort to make something up.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jason Krech said...

Yes, I think if there is one thing everyone knows by know, its that you don't come anywhere close to brokering in truth.

8:54 AM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Yes, yes, yes, I'm a big liar. It's a SONG. Posted in a comment on a BLOG. If you want the New York Times go check out their website. I don't pretend to be fair, balanced, or truthful. Just entertaining :)

And everyone assumes you dated Ben for his money. The first time you dumped Matty to go back to Ben, 3 different people told Matty a variation of: "At least you know it's not about you, it's the money."

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home