Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Crediting the Muses

Earlier this week I read something (don’t remember what) that made me wonder what other people do with their blogs. I had run across one or two, but really hadn’t followed any blogs until I started reading JPK’s first one. It was mostly rambling, with poor grammar and lots of big, misused words. But he gossiped to a reasonable degree, and that was fun. All of my friends talked about it: what he wrote and didn’t write about them, about himself, about what had gone on the night or the weekend before. I didn’t think he did a particularly good job, but he was the only one doing it. While I stirred up plenty of trouble with gossipy group emails, I had never considered putting it on a blog and really causing grief.

My other inspiration was a website called 570 Bars. This site is about two friends who got a list of every place in Seattle licensed to serve alcohol, and then they had at least one drink at every single one. Obviously this isn’t done in a day, or even a month, but in chunks of 3-4 bars at a time over the course of more than a year. Matty told me about the site a long time ago, but I ran across it one day last fall and was so hooked that I read it one sitting. I marveled at the beauty and scope of their vision. The authors became experts at capturing the bar and what they did there. You can see the development of their aesthetic from one bar to the next, until each review is a single gem capturing their experience that one night, that one drink, that one bar, with that one little group of friends. Each review is sparse and direct, like a shot of cold vodka. It’s beautiful.

Now I read a bunch of blogs, from Anonymous Lawyer (the writer is more bitter than Matty, and almost as mean) to Shiokadelicious! and a few in between. JPK has a new blog of course, but he rarely writes in it. And when he does write, he’s exchanged rambling for cryptic references to people and events that no one knows about. His grammar remains poor, and he’s still king of the solecism, but now the entries don’t even say anything understandable to anyone but himself. Blogging is essentially public navel-gazing, but nonetheless entries should be entertaining and understandable. Cryptic references without context are annoying, but that's not out of character for JPK.

And speaking of boring and annoying entries, this is one. But what the hell, check out 570 Bars and forgive me for my pointless blather. I’ll do better next time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason Krech said...

Touché. If my blog is indeed so objectionable, you may consider not reading it again. My last mention of you or any of your cohorts is posted. Read, digest, and let your blog melee ensue. It's fun to read your perception of reality much as it was once fun to watch the village idiot juggle knives.

12:45 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

JPK really came thru, he wrote an entire entry about me and my friends! You've got to read it, it's at http://theamazingjpk.blogs.com/. It's the "gossiping bitchy solecisms" entry. I knew I could get him to do it :) Read fast, I'm pretty sure he'll take it down soon.

1:08 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

He just took the entry down! I'm so good it hurts.

1:59 PM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

Below is JPK's blog entry, "gossiping bitchy solecisms" that he wrote in response to this entry and referred to in his comment above. Since he took it down, I've decided to post it for context. It's complete and unchanged; however, I did redact one name because JPK slandered one of my friends for something I had done. I do not like to perpetuate JPK's slanders against others:

I read Andrew's blog still for the same reason some people like to watch shows like Cops:Rural Alabama...it's a great way to pause and reflect briefly on just how bad things can get if your life is meaningless.

I've long since stopped caring about what he or his group of friends have to say. There was a time when I took offense to what was written there, but that time has long past. Their attempts to attack my grammar, word choice, sexual history, or whatever trite piece of my past comes into their minds in an effort to undermine my relationship or make me feel bad or make themselves feel better really highlights the inability of some people to grow in any other way than waist size.

Continue writing, Andrew, [Name Redacted], whoever. It's your right to do so and I've certainly provided enough fuel for the historical fire. How on earth it continues to be the focus of these Tourettes-like vociferations is not a question I choose to ponder. That said, it's certainly amusing and tantamount to scanning the tabloids at the grocery store checkout.

Postscript: Meanwhile, while you continue to ponder the next character assessment after seeing me once in the past almost five months and having never known me before that, I'll be thinking of how happy I am living with my boyfriend in Issaquah, our upcoming vacation to Mexico with two close friends, and my recent promotion at work. Gosh, it's so unfortunate that I can't still be out carousing with you in smoky bars until 2am every weeknight and snorting white powder to pick myself up for the next night -- will you please take me back? Yeah right -- ! You people are pathetic.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Jason bought a thesaurus, how nice.

11:53 AM  
Blogger AndrewM said...

You've never read his blog? He likes to use lots of big words, usually incorrectly. Therefore I've dubbed him King of the Solecism.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home